Record numbers of Indian students choose Germany

Record numbers of Indian students choose Germany

A record number of Indian international students have chosen to study in Germany in 2019-20, statistics have shown.

According to the latest figures from the Federal Statistical Office of Germany, the number of Indian students at German institutions has experienced rapid growth over 2019-20.

The numbers of Indian students opting to study at German institutions has been steadily rising for several years.

However, the COVID-19 pandemic followed this statistical period, and we recently reported that Germany will not be granting a study visa to any international student who has to pursue their education online due to the pandemic.

Indian student numbers in Germany rose by 20.85% in just one year

The figures revealed that student numbers rose by 20.85% in just one year, and that (as of the Winter term in the academic year 2019-20) 25,149 Indian students were studying in Germany.

Across the board, the number of international students in Germany as a whole has also increased.

With a total of 411,601 students, Germany’s HEIs currently have 4.3% more international students than the previous academic year.

In comparison to the global average, the rate of growth in Germany’s number of enrolled Indian international students is almost five times that of the global average. Indian students make up the second largest market for Germany’s international students.

67% of of Indian students opted to study engineering

In terms of subject choices, the overwhelming majority of Indian students opted to study engineering in Germany (selected by 67% of students). This was followed by management and social studies (15% of Indian international students), and mathematics and natural sciences (12%).

More than half (63%) of Indian students enrolled at universities or technical universities, while the remaining student numbers (37%) are studying at universities of applied sciences. Interestingly, a huge proportion of Indian international students in Germany are male (72.6%).

Even amidst the uncertainty caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, almost 60,000 prospective international students from more than 180 countries applied to commence their studies at a German HEI in the 2020 Winter term.

According to the German Academic Exchange Service’s (DAAD) data, the number of applications has only dropped by 20% compared to last year.

Private education providers in Germany are also growing in prominence. A Stifterverband report recently showed that nearly 1 in 11 students in Germany now study in one of the country’s private universities.

Pic: Håkon Sataøen

Josephine Walbank - Reporter, Global Education Times (GET News)

Josephine Walbank is a reporter for Global Education Times (GET News) with a focus on education in the UK, Asia-Pacific, and Americas, and student experience and lifestyle news.

Josephine is an experienced journalist who previously served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Falmouth Anchor. She is also the former Deputy Editor of Voices, the Falmouth & Exeter Students’ Union’s publication, and has written for various food and lifestyle publications.

You can reach her at josephine@globaleducationtimes.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *